The Equinox is upon us! The colors are starting to change and the air is taking on a brisker quality. This is a day that has been observed throughout the ages and across civilizations. I remember growing up and honoring this day by trying to make an egg balance vertically…did you ever try doing that? I remember it being a bit of a challenge and now there’s probably a whole slew of facts surrounding that old past time (like the fact that you can balance an egg any day of the year), but it’s fun to remember.
Now I observe it by considering what balance looks like in my life for the upcoming Fall and Winter seasons. Although today is equal day and night, balance isn’t always about 50/50 but rather about a harmony in proportion. In classes this week, we’ve been flowing with balance and exploring some of the physical aspects of balancing (for example, on one foot). As we’ve explored this idea of balance, it’s quite apparent that we are constantly shifting and adjusting to maintain steadfastness. It’s hard work to balance!
Especially in Colorado where we experience the seasons, as we transition into Autumn what do you do to maintain balance? What shifts and changes do you make to accommodate the longer nights, colder weather, the holiday’s, and everything contained in these introspective seasons? Here are a few things I do just to get your noggin brewing.
- Begin my day with warm water, ACV, and lemon/ginger to awaken my system. (I sometimes lose this practice over the summer because of the heat.)
- Add more Garlic and Echinacea to boost my immunity.
- Wash my hands more frequently.
- Drink more tea and consume more soups to keep my body warm.
- Add Vitamin D as a supplement (I have a lamp and some in pill form) to balance the shorter days.
- I love layers and these are the seasons to add gloves, scarves, and hoods!!
- Quicker, more intense yoga flows to heat up my body. (I just picked up three classes so there are 9 opportunities to flow with me per week!!)
- Read more. (I like to take advantage of snuggling up with a blanket, on the couch, with a cup of tea, and a great book!)
- End my day with a mug of warm water.
What do you do?? I’d love to hear about your habits that help you maintain balance! And if you are looking for a way to celebrate the Equinox, join us tomorrow for a cosmic experience of meditative, blacklight yoga, Yoga Nidra, metal/crystal bowls, gongs, shamanic drumming, rattling, flute-playing, and chanting!